Thieves' World Player's Manual (PDF)
Thieves' World Player's Manual (PDF)
A Sourcebook for 3rd Era Games
Designed by Lynn Abbey, Gary Astleford, Patrick O'Duffy, and Robert J. Schwalb
Cover by James Ryman
Format: 192 page PDF, distilled from source files
A 17.7MB Download
Version 3.5 rules-compatible
Sharpen Your Blade and Watch Your Back!
Since 1979, Sanctuary has been the nastiest, ugliest, and grittiest city in fantasy fiction. It is a place appropriately nicknamed "Thieves' World." The fourteen anthologies of the Thieves' World series and the Sanctuary novel by Lynn Abbey have detailed this dark and dangerous city and the world in which it exists, through the literary voices of some of the most influential authors in modern fantasy fiction!
Now, Sanctuary is yours to explore with the Thieves' World Player's Manual, the definitive guide for creating characters and playing in this classic and vibrant fantasy setting using the third edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game. Inside this book, you'll find:
- A detailed primer of Sanctuary including overviews of the various neighborhoods and the people living there.
- An all new culture and background system to provide the ultimate flexibility for character creation, with over 14 cultures and over 20 backgrounds, from prizefighter to merchant to soldier.
- New Thieves' World-appropriate base classes such as the learned savant, powerful godsworn, and the dreaded witch.
- Over a dozen new prestige classes, each bringing to life a different aspect of the Thieves' World stories. Take on the oath of the Sacred Bander, join the Blue Star Adepts, or train to be a fearsome Hazard Mage!
- New skills and feats like Gamble, Crippler's Eye, Witchblooded, and Touch the Otherworld.
- Full rules for infection, severe wounds, and massive damage, all reflecting the deadly world of the anthologies.
- Who you are and who you know matters in Sanctuary. The Thieves' World Player's Manual provides new rules for character reputations and contacts.
- An all-new evocative magic system that captures the elusive—and often dangerous—nature of magic in the Thieves' World anthologies. Also included are rules for crafting new magic items, such as the focus and matrix.
- Extensive new rules for bestowing curses, a form of magic that even the lowliest beggar can wield...for a price.
- Over 20 new domains like Inspiration and Night, and details on the gods of Sanctuary and the wider world.
- Top-notch art from some of the industry's best, including Kent Burles, Ilya Astrakhan, Toren "Macbin" Atkinson, and Mike Vilardi.
- A Tale of Two Cities, a brand new Thieves' World short story written by Lynn Abbey.
Explore the Maze, enjoy the delights of the Street of Red Lanterns, or take part in the fight against Dyareela's cultists. The dark and dangerous streets of Sanctuary hold both great reward and dangers beyond imagination. The Thieves' World Player's Manual is your gateway to adventure!
While the Thieves' World Player's Manual contains all the basic tools you need for adventuring in Sanctuary, it is just the first book in a series detailing this most dangerous of fantasy cities. The series continues with a tale of death and intrigue in Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn, and the deeper secrets of Thieves' World are explored in Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary. Finally, the Thieves' World Gazetteer expands the scope to take in the wider world.
The World of Sanctuary Awaits You!
Support for Thieves' World Player's Manual
Thieves' World Character Sheet PDF
Here's a PDF of a character sheet for you to download, print, fill out, and use in your Thieves' World campaign.
Thieves' World Player's Manual PDF Preview
This free sneak peek at Chapter Four: Classes gives you the low-down on the Crime Lord and the Gladiator. But don't get cocky just because you have a little insider info, pal--these guys are still just as dangerous to you as everyone else in Sanctuary is.
Thieves' World Developer's Journal
Green Ronin's d20 Line Developer Robert J. Schwalb gives us the inside scoop about the creation of Thieves' World books for the d20 System.
Lynn Abbey's Web site, featuring all kinds of information about her and Thieves' World.
Zoom in on the Thieves' World Player's Manual Cover
Check out this terrific cover by James Ryman!
What is 3rd Era?
The 3rd Era line of books and accessories was released in support of the third edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game, which lives on in the active play of game groups around the globe and in many variants supported by third party publishers.