Thieves' World: Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary (PDF)
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary (PDF)
A Thieves' World setting book for 3rd Era games
By Aaron Rosenberg & Robert J. Schwalb
Format: 256-page, fully-bookmarked PDF distilled from source files
A 16.7 MB download
Version 3.5 rules-compatible
On Sale! To celebrate Green Ronin's 10th anniversary, we've placed select products on sale! For other great deals, visit our 10th Anniversary page.
Welcome to Sanctuary, Welcome to Thieves' World!
Sanctuary is one dangerous city. Thieves and murderers stalk its streets. Cutthroats and cultists lurk in the shadows and death is a constant companion. It is a city that has seen gods battle overhead, where the fate of the Rankan Empire once hung in balance. It is a hotbed of politics in the Known World, destination for bizarre people from far across the seas. Sanctuary is a curious and volatile mix of countless heroes and villains, of nobles and peasants, of warriors and wizards. Only one knows every street, every alley, every secret in this crumbling city: Shadowspawn. Who better to serve as your guide?
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary is the definitive guide to fantasy's most notorious city. Inside this tome, you'll find:
- A detailed history of the city, covering the periods before, during, and after the classic Thieves' World anthologies--and preparing you for the new ones.
- A guide to life in Sanctuary, including information on its industries, religion, diversions, crimes and politics.
- A comprehensive guide to Sanctuary's leaders, from the legitimate rulers to the crime lords, and all the power groups in between.
- A detailed overview of the city, presenting each neighborhood in detail while highlighting key locations.
- Statistics and information for all of your favorite characters from the classic anthologies including Prince Kadakithis, Shadowspawn, and the dreaded Roxane.
- Statistics and information for nearly all of the characters featured in the new anthologies like Cauvin, Hâlott, and Heliz Yunz.
- Extensive advice for running adventures in Thieves' World, including guidelines for adapting the city to other settings, optional rules like action points, allegiances, and class-based dodge bonuses.
- 13 new diseases like the shrieks and delirium fever.
- 100 adventure ideas
- A slew of adventure seeds to kickstart your own adventures.
- Generic statistics for common people in Sanctuary such as assassins, beggars, prostitutes, cultists, and of course, thieves.
- New cultures like the Shapeshifter, Lirter, and the Cantal Plains barbarian.
- 12 new backgrounds including the seer, mercenary, and pirate.
- New rules for Ur-words, fragments of language that can change the very fabric of reality!
- Several new prestige classes such as the Crimson Scholar and Dyareelan Disciple.
Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary is the definitive resource for exploring and adventuring in one of the seediest cities in all of fantasy. Designed for all fans of Thieves' World, Shadowspawn's Guide is jammed packed with information on both eras. Armed with this massive sourcebook, you'll have everything you need to play in Thieves' World or to adapt it for play in your own campaign settings.
While Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary contains the setting information for Thieves' World, it is but one book in Green Ronin's Thieves' World line. Be sure to pick up the Thieves' World Player's Manual, which contains the basic tools you'll need to adventure in Sanctuary, and Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn, the perfect place to begin your new Thieves' World campaign. Finally, the Thieves' World Gazetteer expands the world of Sanctuary, presenting never before seen information on the wider world.
The City of Sanctuary Awaits You!
- Shadowspawn's Maps of Sanctuary
This 1.9 MB .zip file contains two PDF files, featuring the Rankan and Irrune Era maps from Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary. Or, if you prefer, you can download the two PDFs separately: sgts_map_1.pdf [1.4MB] sgts_map_2.pdf [550kB]
- Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary PDF Preview 2
This excerpt from Chapter Three: Sanctuary Then and Now features one of the neighborhoods of the city, providing a glimpse at the level of detail within the book's pages.
- Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary PDF Preview 1
This excerpt, straight out of Chapter Four: Faces of Sanctuary, Rankan Era, gives you the lowdown on classic characters Illyra, Ischade, and Jaime the Red.
- Thieves' World Developer's Journal
Green Ronin's d20 Line Developer Robert J. Schwalb gives us the inside scoop about the creation of Thieves' World books for the d20 System.
Lynn Abbey's Web site, featuring all kinds of information about her and Thieves' World.
- Zoom in on the Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary Cover
Check out this terrific cover!
What is 3rd Era?
The 3rd Era line of books and accessories was released in support of the third edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game, which lives on in the active play of game groups around the globe and in many variants supported by third party publishers.